Table of Contents
If you were assigned to write an illustration essay – rejoice! The reason is that it’s one of the easiest types of essay that you can work on. What is more, once you have mastered an illustrative essay, writing all other essays will become easier for you. And now you’ll see why.
Definition of an Illustration Essay
In this piece of writing, the author makes use of examples to prove their thesis. For example, in case your thesis statement is “Winter causes the world to hibernate”, you may support your thesis with different examples and facts like:
- In winter the roads are often inundated with snow which makes the movement of traffic very difficult compared to warmer months of the year.
- When the weather is bad, people tend to sit home rather than to attend social activities.
That’s the ore of the illustration essay – you have to provide diverse facts to back up your thesis statement. However, you shouldn’t go into the listing of the “naked” facts. The more colorful and interesting the descriptions in your examples are, the more entertaining and exciting your essay will become.
How to Create an Interesting Illustration Essay
The examples mentioned above are rather boring. As you have already understood, there has to be a better way of proving your point. To understand how to achieve it, think of the word “illustration”. You have to write something as picturesque as a beautiful picture. Something that creates bright images in the mind. To put it even simpler – you have to turn your words into pictures! Make your readers visualize what you’re trying to say.
A few things that you have to keep in mind:
- Your examples should make a clear point. For instance, if you personally don’t like winter and try to convince others that it’s a bad time of the year, it’s not really a good point because a lot of people enjoy winter.
- >Before you start working on your essay, take some time to brainstorm. Write down the best examples and among them, pick top 3-5 strongest points. Once you pick them, proceed to “illustrating” each example in a way that proves your main point.
- Your statement shouldn’t be about arguing a certain position. It’s rather about an existing phenomenon.
Transition between examples that you have selected should be smooth, so that your essay won’t be read like a list. Find good words that would help to make an interesting transition from one point to another.
Structuring and Writing an Illustration Essay
Just like all other essays, an illustration essay has an introduction, body, and conclusion. In the introduction the author states a thesis, in the body of the text provides examples to support it, whereas conclusion should include the restatement of the thesis as well as the closing statement that summarizes the whole essay. In case with the winter weather example stated above, the conclusion may be that winter months might be good for planning some big events.
We provide excellent custom writing service
Our team will make your paper up to your expectations so that you will come back
to buy from us again.